Monday, April 12, 2010

Deep Discussions with Decapitated Dan: John Layman

Welcome back kiddies. I have lured John Layman into the depths this week to pick his brain about life and everything in between. So sit back and relax as he tells us about who he is, what he does, and what we can expect from him in the future. Trust me, you will like what you read!

Alright lets start out with a short answer section and get the usual out of
the way.

Name:
John Layman

Age:
42

Married/Single/Dating/Other:
Married swinger

Pets:
Cats, Rufus and Bumble Buzz

Highest Education Level:
BA in English from Chico State.

High School Mascot:
A goose

First Job:
Golf cart parker and driving range ball picker-upper dude.

Favorite Food:
Chicken wings.

Favorite place to buy a groceries:
I have people for that.

Staying with short answers lets talk about what you do:

Comic(s) you created Before 1992:
Nothing. I didn't start in comics professionally until 1992

May 19, 1993 - May 19, 2003:
Bay City Jive, Puffed, Left Behind, Thundercats, Gen 13

May 20, 2003 - Today:
Red Sonja, House of M: Fantastic Four, Marvel Zombies/Army of Darkness, Xena, Scarface, Armageddon & Son, Gambit, Chew.

Alright all that stuff aside lets get to the meat of the interview:

What do you do when not making comics?
Build Legos and play World of Warcraft.

All time best comic movie you ever saw and why?
Mystery Men, which had all the charm and eccentricity of a Bob Burden comic.

All time worst comic movie you ever saw and why?
The latest Punisher was so shamefully nihilistic and mean-spirited Marvel should have been ashamed to put their name on it. George Clooney Batman and Electra sucked pretty hard, too.

When you were 6 and 12 what were you for Halloween?
I'm very old. I can't remember that far back.

Any TV shows grabbing your attention these days?
Breaking Bad, which is so dark it is both hard to watch, and impossibly to look away from.

Favorite music to listen to, right now?
All I listen to, and all I EVER have listened to, is The Cramps and Alice Donut.

What could you do with a lighter, a Spider-Man action figure and a big box of cotton?
Light a cigarette, play with Spider-Man, and stuff cotton in my mouth to do my Brando Godfather impression.

Back to comic stuff for now.

Knowing that Iceman is the greatest hero of all time, why do you think he is so underused?
Global warming.

Favorite comic character when you were 5, 10 and 15?
Rom Spaceknight for all three!

You find a genie lamp, but he only offers you 3 comic related wishes what are they?
1. More Stray Bullets.
2. A Bay City Jive TPB
3. Chew "absolute editions."

Alright your making a comic about a hell bent cat who controls mice with its mind. Whats the name of the book and sell me on a quick pitch, Go!
Death Puss. Keeping the pitch to myself. It will be my next creator-owned masterpiece!

We all know your a great writer but what do you really want to be when you grow up?
No, seriously. Comic book writer. From the very beginning.

Where is the real money at in comic creating?
Not in my wallet.

When your making comics whats going on around you? Music, what kind? Silence? TV on?
Secret Agency Radio on SOMA FM. Best writing music of all.

Favorite character you ever created/worked on and why?
Probably Tony Chew, as he is the first character of mine specifically designed for an ongoing series. Or, at least, a semi-ongoing series, since we're projecting Chew to run 60 issues.

10 years from now. Where do you see yourself?
"That guy on skid row who wrote CHEW, before a spectacular flame-out."

Alright we can finish up with a quick word association game. I will say a word, you give me a quick one sentence response.

Chew?
A cult classic that inexplicably went sorta mainstream.

Image Comics?
The best creator-owned deal in comics.

Horror Comics?
Makes me think of Eric Powell's The Goon, and I love The Goon.

Smurfs?
Gargamel will have his day.

Coprastasophobia- Fear of constipation?
I've got it!

T.G.I.Fridays?
That's a restaurant, right?

South Park?
Created by Republicans, so I do not watch.

Decapitated Dan?
My own true love.

John Layman ?
...

Thanks so much John.

If you want to know more about John and what he is up to please go to http://themightylayman.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment