Thursday, March 24, 2011

Creepy #5 - Review



Issue: Creepy #5
Writers: Timothy Truman, Benjamin Truman, David Lapham, Dan Braun, Doug Moench
Artist: Timothy Truman, David Lapham, Lucas Marangon, Mike Vosburg
Letters: Nate Piekos
Publisher: Dark Horse
Release Date: March 2011
Pages: 48
Price: $4.99

"The newest, gnarliest, and ickiest incarnation of the classic horror anthology Creepy is clawing its way onto your must--read list for 2011! Don’t miss the demented debut of Creepy #5 this March, which features strange and stunning offerings by David Lapham (Stray Bullets), Timothy Truman (Conan), classic Creepy cover artist Sanjulian, and much, much gore. Whether you prefer your horror tales bloody and bold, or supernatural and subtle, Uncle Creepy and his maleficent minions are sure to satisfy your lust for scary stories!"

Blood of the Sky: 4.0 out of 5
Hello Truman's! What more can be said about this story... Oh you want a full review, no problem. Out of the four stories this one was by far my favorite. The story alone recalled those days, when I would find fantasy mixed in with the Warren titles, and look here it is again. While this might not have been the "scariest" of the stories, it was the most stunning on both and written and visual level. The artwork was GORE-Geous from panel to panel. This was the perfect way to start this issue.

The Field: 3.5 out of 5
Moving on to story number two, we arrive at the scariest of the bunch, The Field. This one was kind of out there, it reminded me of a mix of modern and classic horror stories where you had a more modern setting twist within this classic style. The art here was fantastic from panel to panel. The story though I felt was a little jumpy. We did get a complete story, moving from point A to point B, but it felt rushed. Overall though I was happy with it.

Loathsome Lore: 2.5 out of 5
Now we come to the story that made me scratch my head. This one I really didn't find a purpose for in this book. Talking about actual cults it came across as more of a history piece, that well I didn't find an appeal to. Then the ending really let me down, with a "Join the Fan Club" message. Now I did get the joke, but I didn't like it. Art wise, I liked this one, but story wise it didn't work for me.

Murdicide: 4.0 out of 5
And last but not least is the creepiest of all the stories. This one followed the classic, you're going to get what you got coming, outline but gave it a fun twist. Story wise it was all there, but again I thought it was too short. I liked the presentation, just felt rushed. The artwork on this one I just flat-out loved. It had a great look to it, that reminded me of the older magazines.

Dying Breath: 3.5 out of 5
While this issue falls in line with some classic horror storytelling, it had a few issues I couldn't see past. Not that everyone will like every story they read, I mean I think 3 out of 4 being good makes this one a solid winner. The 3rd story though just seemed to bring it all down a notch, by putting me in a foul mood. Nonetheless, this book stand up there with the previous 4 issues as a great addition to any horror collection. I say read it loud, read it proud and read it NOW!

If you would like to buy or know more about Creepy #5 you can find it at http://www.darkhorse.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment