Thursday, June 9, 2011

Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown #1 – Review


Issue: Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown #1
Writer: Jeff Lemire
Artist: Ibraim Roberson
Letters: Pat Brosseau
Colors: Pete Pantazis
Publisher: DC Comics
Release Date: June 2011
Pages: 48
Price: $2.99

“FLASH FACT! They can’t survive unless they find their maker!”

Artwork: 4.5 out of 5
What a great looking book! easy way to describe it is, from panel to panel this book was so close to perfect, but there were some things that made me go lower on the score. First of all a perfect 5 for the GORE-Geous looking werewolf, that was the best part of the issue. What got me going on the other direction, and yes I know it’s his look, but the outfit on Frankenstein just came off to me as silly. Should it have been changed? Maybe this is an alternate reality after all. Overall I am just being too nit-picky, but this is one great looking issue. On a side note though… way to many ads and filler, I could have done without that Super 8 story.

Story: 4.0 out of 5
I think it’s safe to admit… I don’t know a lot about these characters. Sure I know that the existed and that the 90′s versions were a let down according to some, but to me personally this was a fresh take. So that being said, Lemire did a good job on introducing the cast and getting me to like them and what they were all about. However at the beginning I thought some things were a little odd, like why did Frank side with the Americans right away? And then some more of the back story, mostly the war scenes were jumpy. The story really got me though when these 4 were introduced to the present day and now have to try to find what they are looking for. I can’t say anything else because I won’t spoil it for you.

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
It’s tough for me personally to review a book from the big 2 without having a big bias in the opposite direction. I tend to have a mean side when it comes to what they do if it is not done at a high enough standard. Having a fresh look on this cast in particular worked out very well, and made me want to head to the LCS to dig for the older stuff, as well as other art by Roberson because that man can draw me a monsterous mutt any day of the week. If you like war stories and the classic monsters this one is for you, and if you don’t like either of those this one is for you. It’s a safe place to check this out and it’s a lot of fun. More please!

If you would like to buy or know more about Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown #1 you can find it at dccomics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment