Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Alabaster: Wolves #1 – Review





Issue: Alabaster: Wolves #1
Writer: Caitlín R. Kiernan
Artist: Steve Lieber
Publisher: Dark Horse
Release Date: April 2012
Price: $3.50

“For nearly as long as she can remember, Dancy Flammarion has fought monsters, cutting a bloody swath through the demons and dark things of the world, aimed like a weapon by forces beyond her control or questioning.”

Dying Breath: 4.5 out of 5
Phew! I have to admit that I originally feared this would be a book along the lines of Twilight, due to the popularity of such franchises being turned into comics. It is not though. What is presented within these pages is a story that is visually breathtaking, mentally stimulating and when combined they create one hell of a first issue. The artwork in this book did take me a little bit to adjust to, but after 5 pages I was on board. The character designs are great, and the consistency is seen from panel to panel. The most GORE-Geous thing in this book though, was the werewolf transformation. Easily the visual highlight of the issue for me. The story itself was something I expect from a #1. It grabs you with what it presents, yet leaves enough mystery to have you come back for more. The dialogue was fun, sadly I was not able to solve any of the riddles (I stink, I know). I love the concept so far and really can not wait to see how it plays out. This issue was more than I expected and now I expect so much more from this series. Check this one out!

Artwork: 4.5 out of 5 • Story: 4.5 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about Alabaster: Wolves #1 you can find it at http://www.darkhorse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment