Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Deep Discussions with Decapitated Dan: Scott Wegener

Welcome back kiddies! This time we welcome ScottWegener, one of the strangest artists around, into the dungeon. Why is he strange? Because he wanted to come down here! So sit there and pretend to enjoy it as he tells us all about his comics, and so much more.

Alright lets start out with a short answer section and get the usual out of the way.

Name: Scott Wegener

Age: 34

Married/Single/Dating/Other:
Married

Pets:
Macio the 3 legged cat -deceased but his ashes are still with us. Cupcake -the cat I wish was dead.

Highest Education Level:
Some Masters credits. Got my undergrad at Daniel Webster College in New Hampshire.

High School
Mascot: Beats the shit outta me.

First Job:
paper route.

Favorite type of fish:
Is squid a fish?

Staying with short answers lets talk about what you do:

Comic(s) you created Before July 4, 1985:
I was in pre-school then.

July 5, 1985 - September 1, 2009: Hank The Bounty Hunter(horrible comic in a zine called Negative Ink), Killer of Demons(Image), Hexbreakers Inc., Atomic Robo (Red5 Comics).

September 2, 2009 - Tomorrow: Uh . . more. . .Atomic Robo? Why, what have you heard!?!

Alright all that stuff aside lets get to the meat of the interview:

What do you do when not making comics?
(Don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate,) . . .um . . .

Your Ipod breaks and it gets stuck on one band. What band are you hoping it is?
Fucking Apple bullshit. I knew this would happen! You're no better than Microsoft!!

But at least it's stuck on Ratatat.

Your join the Navy and while out at sea you steal a submarine all to yourself. Joyriding around under the sea you break down and are trapped for 1 week. What do you do while you wait to be saved?
(Don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate, don't say masturbate,) . . .um . . .

When you were 15 what were you for Halloween?
Probably an asshole with a hoodie and a carton of eggs. Just contact the West Brighton P.D. on Staten Island. I think they keep mug-shots.

Favorite comic character when you were 12 and 13 and 16?
I didn't really have any to be honest. I read a lot of min-series, or Manga TPB's (back when we just called them "comics" like everything else in the shop), so I never really glommed on to one particular character. TMNT was one of the first comics I collected though and it was semi-regular. Mike was my favorite. Ralph was and is an ass hat. I also loved Grendel: Warchild. I have no idea how old I was when any of these came out though.


When it comes to TV what are you watching?
Nothing. My TV only gets used for video games. I catch the odd show on the internet, but I don't watch anything on a regular basis.


Sports wise, who ya rooting for?
Haven't got a clue. Team sports bore me to tears.


Back to comic stuff for now. Knowing that Iceman is the greatest hero of all time, why do you think he is so underused?
Because he's one of the lamest heroes of all time, right after Stilt Man and Kidney Dialysis Girl.

Alright your making a comic about a boy and his toy robot who get lost in the mall. Whats the name of the book and sell me on a quick pitch? Go!

Seeing his chance at emancipation Gronk-5 kills his obnoxious little "master" and goes on a gore encrusted rampage through a major metropolitan shopping center Before taking on the New York State National Guard sent to take him down. I call it "Miracle on 34th Street."

We all know how good you are with the pencil but what can you do with a hula hoop, some gum and a pair of pliers?
Oddly enough I performed my mom's emergency hysterectomy with just those very tools.

Where is the real money at in comic creating?
Apparently wherever I'm not looking, 'cause I can't find two wooden nickels to rub together.


When your making comics whats going on around you? Music, what kind? Silence? TV on?
Podcasts mostly. The endless droning of nerds seems to help me focus on my work.

10 years from now. Where do you see yourself?
Hopefully put down by the ASPCA for humane reasons.

Alright we can finish up with a quick word association game. I will say a word, you give me a quick one sentence response.

Atomic Robo?
Best comic book in the history of fucking comic books. (Except the writing really sucks.)

Demons?
Hot heavy metal girls.

Horror Comics?
Hot heavy metal girls.

Pot Holes?
I thought you said pot whores -man that would have been so much better.

General Tso's Chicken?
Diarrhea

Voltron?
Equal parts awesome and retarded. Like just about everything I loved as a kid.

Megan Fox?
Skank

Teddy Ruxpin?
EEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!! GET IT AWAY FROM ME!!!!!

Decapitated Dan?
Action figure I would buy

Scott Wegener?
Asshole. But sort of okay anyhow.

Awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us get to know the real you. You can check out what else Scott is up to on http://scottwegener.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment