Sunday, November 8, 2009

Deep Discussions with Decapitated Dan: Ken Haeser

Alright kiddies it’s time to bring another Ghoulish Guests into the Dark Dungeon. I have lured Ken Haeser, Co-Creator of The Living Corpse, into the depths to pick his brain about TV, music and New York Pimps from the 80’s.

Alright lets start out with a short answer section and get the usual out of the way.

Name: Ken Haeser

Age: 34

Married/Single/Dating/Other: Married

Pets: Does a kid count as a pet?

Highest Education Level: Graduate of the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic art aka comic book college.

High School Mascot: Some furry douchbag I believe.

First Job: Stock boy at a liquor store. I miss free booze...

Favorite thing to eat at the movies: The hearts of those that can't shut the fuck up for 2 hours.

Staying with short answers lets talk about what you do:

Comic(s) you created Before 1995:
Super Dude, Electro (not the Spidey villain, mine was an energy based hero), and about a thousand others created before high school.

From 1995 - September 12, 2009:
The Jersey Devil, The Eyes of Asia and a bunch of other little stuff here and there.

Sept. 13 - The end of time:
The Living Corpse, Spider-man and Batman

Alright all that stuff aside lets get to the meat of the interview:

What do you do when not making comics?
There is something other than making comics? I guess eat and sleep.

Favorite TV Shows past and present?
The Simpsons, Family Guy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Lost, Quantum Leap, Looney Tunes, Tales from the Crypt, Justice League, This Old House, To Catch a Predator, How it's Made, Clash of the Gods, He-Man, Forensic Files, CSI (you never know when that info will come in handy!), Mythbusters, Star Trek, The Muppet show and Baywatch Nights.

Stranded on a desert island you get one comic to read for 5 years what is it (trades are allowed)?
I know most people would say Watchmen but that is what I would want to bring. I've read it like 20 times since I was in high school and still find new things in it every time I read it.

When you were 10 what were you for Halloween?
I believe I was the Hulk.

Favorite Music when you were 6, 16 and 26?
Cartoon theme songs, Guns and Roses and White Zombie

Back to comic stuff for now. Knowing that Iceman is the greatest hero of all time, why do you think he is so underused?
It might be because of the unresolved tension between Iceman and Maverick that he uses to cover up his overly blatant gay undertones. He can never get the spotlight that he deserves and be the greatest jet pilot as long as he’s… what? Oh, you mean the X-men guy. Sorry. Um… cause he can’t fly a jetplane?

If you were to make a comic about the life of a Pimp circa 1980 New York times Square, what would his name be and sell me on a quick pitch? Go!
It would be the story of Trick Magnet with the Pimp Hand of Iron. Watch out ho’s, he’s mean and fly and it’s hard to turn tricks when your missing most of yo teeth!

We all know you kick ass drawing monsters? But was it your first choice comic wise? In other words as a kid did you draw something, hate it, put red all over it and realize that Zombies were the way to go?
Not really. I always wanted to do a zombie comic because I love them but to me every zombie comic has been a rip off of the Romero zombie movies. It wasn’t until I started hanging out with Buz and our love of zombies and horror in general made us think hard about doing something different with zombies. We came up with the Living Corpse and the rest as they say is history!

Where is the real money at in comic creating?
That’s a damn good question. Let me know when you find out!

When your making comics whats going on around you? Music, what kind? Silence? TV on?
I listen to music when I’m writing and it all depends on what I’m writing too. Action scenes I gotta listen to something loud and angry and with character driven moments I stick on some classical music--- Beethoven, Bachs--- stuff like that. While I’m drawing I have the tv on but usually with stuff on that I don’t need to look up too often--- the History channel, director commentaries on a DVD—stuff like that.

10 years from now. Where do you see me at in my career of a headless journalist?
I think you’ve got a great future! As long as you don’t loose your head! Ha!!! I’ll be here all week.

10 years from now. Where do you see yourself?
Still doing comics but fatter and balder.

Alright we can finish up with a quick word association game. I will say a word, you give me a quick one sentence response.

Zombies?
George Romero

Living Corpse? Obsession.

Horror Comics? My favorite kind of comics--- if done well.

Taco Bell? Heaven.
Dead Alive? Not enough gore.

Marvel Comics? Gimme a job!
Swinger Parties? Is that an invite?
Decapitated Dan? Makes me think too much while interviewing…

Awesome! Thanks for stopping by Ken.

If you want to know more about Ken and what he does head on over to http://www.corpsecomic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment