Monday, March 15, 2010

Deep Discussions with Decapitated Dan: Gregg Hurwitz

Welcome back kiddies. I have lured Gregg Hurwitz into the depths to pick his brain about life and everything in between. So sit back and relax as he tells us about who he is, what he does, and what we can expect from him in the future. Trust me, you will like what you read!

Alright lets start out with a short answer section and get the usual out of the way.

Name:
Gregg Hurwitz

Age:
36

Married/Single/Dating/Other:
Married.

Pets:
Simba The Destroyer. My 120 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback

Highest Education Level:
Studied English and Psych at Harvard, Master's in Shakespearean Tragedy at Trinity College, Oxford.

High School Mascot:
The Bellarmine Bell. I know: A Bell. I give up.

First Job:
Knocking down fire house with a sledgehammer.

Favorite place to hangout with friends:
Movies.

Staying with short answers lets talk about what you do:

Comic(s) you created:
Foolkiller, Punisher, Wolverine, Moon Knight

Alright all that stuff aside lets get to the meat of the interview:

What do you do when not making comics?
Writing novels, most recently Trust No One. I also write feature films and TV pilots. Right now I'm a consulting producer on ABC's V.

Favorite sports teams to watch?
Red Sox. SF Giants.
You take a trip to the top of Mt. Everest and get stranded for 1 week. What do you do to pass the time?
Rest. Stretch. Drink Gatorade.

When you were 15 what were you for Halloween?
Badly behaved.

Favorite comic character when you were 10, 12 and now?
Punisher, Punisher, Punisher.

If you had to listen to one song for the rest of the week, what would it be?
Dominos by The Big Pink.

If I told you Bigfoot was real because he was me, would you believe me?
Bigfoot doesn't talk. Duh.

What can you do with a zipper, a turbine and a turtle?
Make a killer stew.

Back to comic stuff for now.

Knowing that Iceman is the greatest hero of all time, why do you think he is so underused?
It's been all downhill after Top Gun.

Alright your making a comic about a little monkey who got lost on his way to pick up a hooker, what would the name of the book be and sell me on a quick pitch? Go! Monkey Business. The Monkey has a heart of gold. He's a closet drinker, abused as a baby. The hooker is actually a dude in drag. They get married in Vegas and live happily ever after as Elvis impersonators.

We all know you are a master with the words, so where did it all begin and how can I be more like you when I decide to grow up? My mom says I used to sleep with a dictionary as a kid. Which probably explains why the other kids threw rocks at me. If you want to be more like me, you'd have to NOT grow up.

Where is the real money at in comic creating?
Comics is really more for the love of the game. You can make some good coin, but if you're looking to get tycoon rich, go into commercial real estate.

When your making comics whats going on around you? Music, what kind? Silence? TV on?
Silence.

10 years from now. Where do you see yourself?
In this chair, continuing to do what I ####ing love.

If I sent my ninja to your house to steal scripts how would you stop him?
If he got by the ninja net, my ninja alarm would go off. Then home boy'd be screwed!

Alright we can finish up with a quick word association game. I will say a word, you give me a quick one sentence response.

Moon Knight?
Bushman.

Marvel Comics?
Yes, please.

Horror Comics?
Sure. Them too.

Street Thugs?
Ass beating.

Platypus?
Eggs.

Rob Zombie?
Halloween.

Nachos?
Movies.

89?
Toothless.

Decapitated Dan?
Cool website.

Gregg Hurwitz?
Who?

Thanks so much Gregg.

If you want to know more about Gregg please check out his site http://gregghurwitz.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment