Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bride of the Wolfman #1 – Review



Issue: Bride of the Wolfman #1
Writer: David Gruba
Artist: Rene Castellano
Publisher: Instant Press Comics
Release Date: October 2009
Pages: 24
Price: $3.00

“It’s the not-so-typical story of girl meets wolf as told by David Gruba (writer) and Rene Castellano (artist).  See what happens when the mother-in-law comes to visit and when the Wolfman goes out on his late night jaunts.  This all ages book will appeal to kids, married couples and joke book enthusiasts.”

Artwork: 4.0 out of 5
You can call it cartoonish, you can call it manga inspired, or you can just call it plain good. This book looks great. I love the character designs, no wait do I love them… yeah I really love them! Look at the cover alone, do you not see the calf? That is just funny! The interiors look the same, except they are in glorious black and white and man… do they POP! Okay hands down, I LOVE the look of the mummy the most. Can we have a book on him please?

Story: 4.0 out of 5
Ahh the typical story of girl meets wolf, thinks wolf ate grandma, finds out the truth and they get married. Wait a minute. Story wise this book has 6 shorts in it, and get this… they all rock! I have to say my favorite of the bunch is Wolf’s Night Out because I get to see that awesome mummy! I really think that these stories, while short, worked on every level. There is plenty of great humor to be had here.

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
I really enjoyed this book. What it lacks in size it makes up for in quality. The stories are full of great images, in which you can find hidden jokes, and plenty of humor in the dialogue. Gruba and Castellano have a silly book on their hands and I want to see more, I think this one will only get better and gain more recognition as time goes on. AND I WANT A MUMMY COMIC!!!

If you would like to buy or know more about Bride of the Wolfman you can find it at http://instantpresscomics.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment