Wednesday, April 6, 2011

From The Tomb Magazine Comic Book Reviews Comic Book Reviews for From the Tomb Magazine The Grimm: The Devil Birds of Carencro Isle & Garlu – Review



Issue: The Grimm: The Devil Birds of Carencro Isle & Garlu
Writer: Michael Beazley
Artist: Michael Beazley
Letters: Michael Beazley
Colors: Michael Beazley
Publisher: General Jack Cosmo Productions
Release Date: 2007 & 2011
Pages: 32
Price: $4.99

“The first story is a about a Navy Seal team that goes missing while recovering downed satellite components.  That is where the Navy Seal Special Missions Unit comes into play, and our introduction to the main character Jack a very young special warfare operator and “creature of unknown origin” raised in the Seal community and funded by the Secret Order of Ignus Fatuus. He is sent in to the last known location of the missing Seal team where he encounters a very large “metaphysics breach” in the form a Harpy infestation. Winged demon birds, Submarines, and a donkey….22 Pages of painted mayhem.  “Garlu” A short but sweet tale about cans of beans and getting along with the “fairy” folk on the grassy knolls of Ireland 5 pages.”

Artwork: 4.0 out of 5
This book is kind of a tough one to really put your art eyes on and make a good overall judgement on it. Wow if that wasn’t a bad sentence. The reason for the confusion is because the main story in this issue, which was done a few years ago has a totally different look than the second and I like both, but I like the second story more. To go even more in-depth, the DBoCI story was painted where the Garlu story was not. I have to lean towards the Garlu look. However I applaud Mike for the time taken on the first. One way or another this book looks AMAZING!

Story: 4.0 out of 5
The word vague comes to mind here. I was treated to a great introduction to the characters, a fun action filled story with some crazy ass monsters and a fantastic backup story. However I find myself wanting to know more about the main character and his AWESOME companion. I won’t spoil it, you need to read it. Good dialogue here, but the fun is really had in the action.

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
I swear I just saw a Garlu fart and kill a monster, now that is horror comedy. No matter how I look at this book I know one thing, I want more. The story is fun, the monsters are unique and the look is great. Overall you get your moneys worth, and I will also add that the quality of this book is nice! You need to stop reading this review and go read The Grimm now!

If you would like to buy or know more about The Grimm: The Devil Birds of Carencro Isle you can find it at http://www.grimmspecwar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment