Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Avengelyne: Devil in the Flesh (#1-3) – Review





Issues: Avengelyne #1-3
Writers:
Rob Liefeld, Mark Poulton
Artist:
Owen Gieni
Publisher:
Image
Release:
July – September 2011
Price:
$2.99 (each)

“‘DEVIL IN THE FLESH,’ The legendary fallen angel returns to comics. As New York City’s sins are covered with a fresh blanket of snow, the psychotic serial killer, Torment, is hard at work creating new ones. Meanwhile, Avengelyne has her hands full with the Red Dragon who has taken a human vessel in search of a new apprentice. Who has the Dragon chosen as his vessel and does it have anything to do with Avengelyne’s new look? All this plus the introduction of the stunning, Heaven Starr! AVENGELYNE is a new ongoing supernatural series written by MARK POULTON (Koni Waves) 
with art by OWEN GIENI and letters and color assists by DEXTER WEEKS.”

Dying Breath: 4.5 out of 5
Now I never read this title back in the 90′s, so going into this I did not know what to really expect. Writer Mark Poulton had emailed me and said “Dan, you need to read this. Horror elements can be found throughout this book.” I was skeptical but I took him up on it, thinking I was so going to prove him wrong. Consider me schooled folks. This first arc has so much HELL in it, that I was quickly taking back my skepticism and now I have to urge you to check this out. The artwork by Gieni is GORE-Geous. My jaw dropped to floor so many times that I said screw it, and left it there. The colors in these issues are amazing as well. The whole combination from the art team deserves a round of applause, because they made gore look so damn good. This first story arc just jumps right into the action. People who know nothing about the characters past can be put at ease because it is such a safe jumping on point. They even went and added some history pages in the back of every issue, so you can understand who the cast was in the issues from the 90′s. Pacing is on point, and you have to love when they take a quick second to poke fun of the pouches. Overall this book was beyond what I could have ever expected, and wanted. I can not wait to dive into the second arc, and I will urge you all to take a look at this series. From the stunning artwork to a great storyline, this one has everything I could want in a comic and so much more.

Artwork: 5.0 out of 5 • Story: 4.5 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about Avengelyne you can find it at http://www.imagecomics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment