Friday, June 22, 2012

Steamcraft #1 – Review





Issue: Steamcraft #1
Writer: David Hutchison
Artist: David Hutchison
Publisher: Antarctic Press
Release Date: June 2012
Price: $3.99

“With strange eons, even death may die, unleashing ancient horrors upon our world. They rise from the abyss or descend from the stars, caring no more for our existence than we care for the random atoms about us. Yet there are those who dare to strap on their brass and leather, shoulder their plasmotic rifles and stoke up the boilers to their super-cannons, land crawlers, submersibles and airships. Steam WILL save the world!”

Dying Breath: 4.5 out of 5
What an amazing combination of 2 things I want to know more about. Steamcraft #1 blends together Lovecraft and Steampunk in a way that I would have never guessed, and it turns out oh so perfect. The artwork in this book was the biggest shock to my system. I honestly expected to see something that played on the fun aspects of both topics, something vivid and highly animated. Instead I was treated to a visual gem, that fit so well into playing on the Victorian aspects of Steampunk. The page layouts were just something I can’t get over. A journal style of story telling, meaning the lettering is presented in a script typeface, on top of artwork that comes across to me as highly detailed sketches. The combination of these two elements sets the visual tone so well. At the start I did have a little trouble reading the font chosen, but as the issue went on I had no issues. The story itself is something that should easily please fans of both genres. I really enjoyed the pacing and the surprise ending. If anything I thought that the one more page should have been added, because I really wanted to see what was going to happen to Barrier. But I have to leave that up to my imagination. I loved this issue and can not wait for more to come, there is more coming, right? This company does horror right book after book, and I really hope that this title can expand to more issues in the future. A fantastic read that will easily appeal to anyone reading this review.

Artwork: 4.5 out of 5 • Story: 4.5 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about Steamcraft you can find it at http://www.antarctic-press.com

No comments:

Post a Comment