Thursday, March 24, 2011

Green Wake #1



Issue: Green Wake #1
Writer: Kurtis Wiebe
Artist: Riley Rossmo
Publisher: Image
Release Date: April 2011
Pages: 28
Price: $3.50

"A riveting tale of loss and horror. In the forgotten town of Green Wake, a string of grisly mutilations leads Morley Mack on the trail of a young woman named Ariel, who is the prime suspect. But when a stranger with startling connections to Ariel arrives under mysterious circumstances, Morley unravels a dark plot with a shocking link to his past."

Artwork: 4.5 out of 5
Oh how pretty, gritty and almost bittersweet this books looks to my eyes. I like Riley's work, but I think it shines best when added to a story like this (not that I don't like it on Proof, because I do). The style that Rossmo has fits this issue perfectly, mostly because of the mystery that I find in both. A dark look that just goes hand in hand here, makes this on a visual winner on all levels.

Story: 4.5 out of 5
Did I miss something? What is really going on here? Is that a frog man? These are questions that kept popping up in my head while I was reading this issue, and I have to say they were all 100% necessary. I never had a feeling of total loss with this book, I always knew that around the corner an answer would be waiting for me, well until the TBC at the end. Great dialogue and something strange in the background and foreground really make this compelling.

Dying Breath: 4.5 out of 5
The story, plays so well with the visuals, in this nice, dark strange tale that is slowly evolving into something big. I get this odd feeling of Cool World like ties, well mostly just based on how it begins, but I know there are layers to be peeled off here. Rossmo and Wiebe you have me hooked, so reel me in now because I sure as hell don't want to be thrown back. Plain and simple, GORE-geous artwork, BOO-tiful storytelling and your left with a winner on your hands.


If you would like to buy or know more about Green Wake you can find it at http://greenwakecomic.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment