Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hellraiser #1 – Review



Issue: Hellraiser #1
Writers: Clive Barker, Christopher Monfette
Artist: Leonardo Manco
Letters: Travis Lanham
Colors: Charlie Kirchoff
Publisher: BOOM!
Release Date: March 2011
Pages: 24
Price: $3.99

"One of the greatest horror franchises of all time returns, now under the control of its original creator! Clive Barker has touched HELLRAISER only twice: once to write THE HELLBOUND HEART, and once more to write and direct the original HELLRAISER film. Now witness Barker’s long-awaited return to tell a new chapter in the series’ official continuity—a trajectory that will forever change the Cenobites… and Pinhead! So prepare your soul for an epic journey into horror from one of the medium’s greatest voices, and starring one of the medium’s greatest characters, in an unforgettable new chapter of HELLRAISER. BONUS: this epic 40-page first issue features a 10-page backup story written by the co-writer and co-director of THE MATRIX trilogy, Larry Wachowski!"

Artwork: 4.5 out of 5
Oh MAN-CO!!!! Haha you see what I did there? This book literally puts the Gore in GORE-Geous! Lets start simple with the Bradstreet, Percival and Barker covers, I LOVE EM! Then you get me to see the interiors and all I can say is WOW! Now I have seen Manco's work before, so I know what a visual treat it is, but this book looks amazing! I think if you were of fan of what the movies looked like than you will be happy with the visual look of this book.

Story: 4.0 out of 5
I don't know what it is, but when I read a Baker story I find myself a little lost during it, but by the time I reach the end I know exactly what just happened. I say stop it! LOL. This book read just like I wanted it to. I heard all the voices in my head, the character voices, not the actual voices since they were quiet while daddy was reading. Anyways, this book comes off just as the first film did, dark and disturbing. The best past was the, eh I don't want to call it a twist, but I sure didn't see it coming. Overall I am happy to have you back my old friend.

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
If you're a Hellraiser fan, then I don't need to sit here and tell you to read this, if you're not a fan, or someone who has seen the movies before, I think this is safe to pick up. Sure you might not get a few things, but this will serve as a way to get you to watch the movies. Manco's artwork mixed with the storytelling of Barker and Monfette has me geared up and ready for more. Where this series will go, I'm not too sure, but I do know that the horror comic gods are smiling right now after reading #1.

If you would like to buy or know more about Hellraiser #1 you can find it at http://www.boom-studios.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment