Sunday, January 22, 2012

Whispers #1- Review



Issue: Whispers #1
Writer: Joshua Luna
Artist: Joshua Luna
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: Jan 2012
Pages: 28
Price: $2.99

“A mentally troubled man is suddenly empowered with the ability to leave his physical body in “ghost” form and manipulate people in strange and disturbing ways. With this incredible power, will he control his demons…or discover even more?”

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
I was an a fan of the series Girls, I liked Ultra and never had real chance to check out the Sword, so why on Earth would I check out Whispers? It’s because I really enjoy what I have seen the Luna brothers do. That being said Joshua is flying solo with this series and he delivers. The artwork is like that of the other books I mentioned. I love the style, love the colors and love the whole package, but it is nothing new. It delivers where it needs to and it works throughout the issue. The real highlight here is writing. From the very start I was amazed at how well he depicted the main character’s O.C.D. It is almost like an uncomfortable feeling watching him suffer with it, but I have this feeling it will lead to something great. The opening scene was above and beyond in terms of external and internal dialogue.  I loved the realism of the writing as again, I really felt for Sam as he was being, as I felt, attacked by his friends. The way Joshua sets Sam up leaves some mystery and intrigue to his character. What did he do?  Why is he like this now? Then you come to the “dream” state which is where this issue takes off even further. There is a lot here to take in and it seems to be leading up to something big. So consider this issue a teaser of sorts. I can’t wait to see where this series is heading.

Artwork: 4.0 out of 5 • Story: 4.5 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about  Whispers #1  you can find it at www.imagecomics.com

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this first issue, I'll definitely buy the next one. By the way, I decided to write a review about Whispers on my blog:

    www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

    Feel free to check it out and leave me a comment.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete