Monday, August 20, 2012

Koma OGN – Review



Issue: Koma OGN
Writer: Pierre Wazem
Artist: Frederik Peeters
Colors: Albertine Ralenti
Publisher: Humanoids
Price: $29.95


“Addidas is a bright and quirky young girl who spends most of her time helping her widowed father in his job as a chimney sweep in the industrial metropolis they live in. When Addidas ventures too far into a chimney, she encounters a bizarre new friend…”

Dying Breath: 5.0 out of 5
I don’t even know how to start this review without just saying, Book of the Year front-runner. I was so blown away with what happened on these 280+ pages that I feel like trying to sum it up will only come across as a gushing love letter to the creators. So let’s do just that. I went into this book not knowing what to expect, well I expected to read about a little girl and her new Monster friend, but instead I was introduced to a world that was so imaginative and original. If I even try to compare this to anything, and keep in mind that I am just basing this off of the overall feel I had when I was done reading this, I would have to say Spirited Away. Yes I know that one is a movie and the other is a comic, but that is as close to any kind of comparison I can even make. The art work is so GORE-Geous from page to page. The facial expressions are so key to the telling of this story and Peeters delivers ever single time. While the colors are mostly dark in the book, dealing with a drab cityscapes, chimneys and underground monsters, it still shines page after page. The art just jumps right into your face and demands your attention. Towards the end of the book, when you are shown the scenes of the countryside, you see the full potential of this team. This story alone should be winning awards left and right. Every time I thought that I knew what was going to happen I was slapped in the face and told no. Wazem’s dialogue, which is translated into English, is done so well. His voices for the entire cast are so believable for who they all are. The story has so much mystery and depth to it. The relationship between Addidas and all of the characters will pull at your heart-strings, and when all is said and done, you will just feel alive. Is that enough gushing for you? I can not suggest a book more than I will this one. This is the whole package and so much more. I will be reading this over and over for years to come.

Artwork: 5.0 out of 5 • Story: 5.0 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about Koma you can find it at www.humanoids.com

No comments:

Post a Comment