Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Scarifyers #1 – Review





Issue: The Scarifyers #1
Writer: Simon Barnard
Artist: Simon Gurr
Publisher: Cosmic Hobo

“Ghost story writer Professor Dunning doesn’t believe in the supernatural. So he’s more than surprised when an invisible demon appears in his living room. The Metropolitan Police’s oldest-serving officer, Inspector Lionheart doesn’t believe in the supernatural either, wings or no wings. So he’s less than impressed when Russian émigré’s begin dying impossible deaths all over London. Together, Lionheart and Dunning must face quarrelsome Generals, sinister clowns and Russian demons, in the first adventure for THE SCARIFYERS.”

Dying Breath: 4.0 out of 5
I have to call Simon Barnard one of these days to tell me how to pronounce this title. I will say that no matter how you say it, I say this book was awesome. The cover art kind of scared me a little, but when I saw the interior art I did let out a little sigh of relief. What I am trying to say is that I personally would have shown some of the interior work on the cover, because it is GORE-Geous. The black and white work, with the halftone dots is so visually appealing, and the opening scene makes my eyes melt. The characters themselves have apparently been around for a while, I did not know this. This issue does a very good job of introducing me to the cast, who they are and what they do. What I really enjoyed was the amount of content in this book. While it may only be 32 pages, it felt like there were a lot more. That is how you know you are getting you money’s worth. If I had one issue with the dialogue though, it was with terminology. Being an American, I don’t always understand the meaning of something said by someone who is British. It does not take anything away from the whole though. A great horror mystery is taking place in these pages and this team delivered on making me want to come back again and again. Great first issue, and I can only see it going up and up from here.

Artwork: 4.0 out of 5 • Story: 4.0 out of 5

If you would like to buy or know more about The Scarifyers #1 you can find it at http://www.cosmichobo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment